It goes without saying that training for a marathon when you work and have kids is tricky. BUT it IS possible. And it's possible to run faster and do better than you ever have. On 30th Oct 2016 I was over the moon to beat my pre baby marathon PB of 4.08 at the Washington Marine Corps with a 3.49 time.
So what did I do?
- I printed off a plan and followed it very loosely! (Link at the bottom of the blog)
- What I did stick to was the long run distance every weekend of that scheduled week. It has more long 20m runs than other plans I had followed which I think was good.
- I didn't manage all the runs listed during the week. Prob 2 runs Monday to Friday. One about 4/5 miles (often with a buggy) and the other a quicker one.
- I didn't do any hills training because it hurt my knee. I did have to batttle a knee injury at the start and also a chest infection a month out from the race which meant no running for over 2 weeks.
- I picked an autumn marathon so I could train in the summer months. Much easier with lighter days and warmer temperatures.
- I joined a running club and did about 5 weeks worth of speed sessions with them rather than having to think about it myself! I think getting used to running quicker played a big part. If you are running less often every run has to count.
- I did a Saturday parkrun with the kids in the running buggy.
- If there was time for a short errand/school run with the buggy I'd do it. 2/3 miles is better than nothing.
- I was lighter! About a stone lighter than my last marathon. Less weight to carry about does make me a quicker runner I think. But in terms of diet the changes I made were more protein at breakfast, no bread for lunch and nutribullet smoothies everyday to pack the nutrients in.
- Before I started my training schedule I was doing regular weekly circuits classes to get my core strength and pelvic floor in good shape.
- I love treats and did still eat chocolate and crisps and takeaways occasionally.
- I gave up booze in the 6 weeks run up to the race. This was really hard for me as I love a drink to unwind at the end of the day BUT knowing I wasn't running as much as the plan said because I couldn't find the time, I had to make every small sacrifice possible to give it a shot.
- I got some new trainers from my local running store (Runners Retreat in Marlow) which didn't give me one blister the entire time! (A miracle as I always used to get them!) I ran in Brooks Ghost's
Good luck! I'm not a trained running guide, health professional, just a runner mum who is happy to share my experience! For any specific questions don't hesitate to email me on firstname.lastname@example.org